Nettle Creek Schoolhouse/Machinery

Nettle Creek School #1

Nettle Creek Schoolhouse was the first one-room schoolhouse built in McLean County, Dakota Territory.

It was built in July of 1883 at the cost of $400. The one-room country school was first constructed as a log cabin, with clapboard siding added to it later.  The first term of school began November 6, 1883. It was originally located seven miles east of Washburn. The school was closed in 1949 and it was moved to its present location (Pioneer Park) in July of 1968.  Mrs W.K. Williams (Mary Ann Barnes Williams) was instrumental in having the school moved into Washburn.

It was purchased from Oscar Doepke (Lechner farm) for $100 and moved at a cost of $300. Total repairs cost $1,268.19. The school was then deeded to the Washburn City Park for preservation as a State Historical Building.

To the northwest of the School house are several pieces of old farm machinery that were in days gone by.

Home | Visiting | Moving | Living | Community Calendar | City of Washburn | City Advisory Boards | Washburn Water Treatment Facility | City Commission Minutes & Video | Economic Development | McLean County Museum | News | Photo Gallery | Contact Us
powered by
Printer-friendly Version